Binan, according to historical literature, was discovered and established by the Spaniards in June 1571, a month after Miguel Lopez De Legaspi founded Manila. Under the leadership of Juan de Salcedo, Legaspi’s nephew, about forty-five Spaniards sailed and landed on the towns of Taytay and Cainta in the province of Morong (now known as Rizal). Armed with small cannons and other weapons, the Spaniards conquered the people of Morong. They then sailed Laguna De Bay and peacefully invaded one by one the places along the shores of the lake. They proceeded to Pinagsangahan (now Pagsanjan) then to Nagcarlan and ended in Majayjay. From these three towns, the Spaniards return to the lake and landed on the biggest town they named Bahi, Bae, or Bay. The town of Bahi became the first capital town in 1688.
The Spaniards sailed once again from Bahi going Northwest and landed on a wide town they named Tabuco (now Cabuyao). After Cabuyao was founded, Kapitan Salcedo and his men continued sailing but were driven by strong winds to the mouth of the wide river and ended between residential houses. Some of the residents on the left of the river exerted resistance and fought against the colonizers using bows and arrows, and bolos and swords. The residents later conceded and the place was named Manlalaban (now Brgy. Malaban). The Spaniards resumed sailing the river until they reached the center of the area. Kapitan Salcedo, accompanied by Father Alonzo Alvarado, explained to the people that their purpose was not to conquer and invade but to spread friendship and help the people. The people consented and Father Alvarado planted a big wooden cross on the ground and announced the birth of a new church. Father Alvarado invited the people to thank God and know Jesus Christ by showing respect to the wooden cross through the means of giving a bow.
The following day, Kapitan Salcedo and Father Alvarado successfully built a government at Cabuyao near the capital town Bay. The appointed leaders of certain areas were named cebecillas which later became known as Cabezas de Barangay. In 1769 when the town of Pagsanjan was the capital, Binan was separated from Bay and became part of Sta Rosa. In 1771, during the time of Pablo Faustino, Binan was finally established as a separate town from Sta Rosa.
The church of Binan had no immediate parochial priest and as a result, the priest of Cabuyao led the mass. Augustinian priests took control of the church of Binan until 1637 when Dominican priests took over. In 1757, the first appointed parochial priest of Binan was Dr Jose Monroy. In the same year, Dr Jose Monroy appointed Antonio de Sta Rosa as the first Kapitan.
How Biñan Got Its Name
Anecdote about the name Binan had originated from the name of a big tree called Banyan or Banian (Ficus Bengalensus; Urtika Crae). Since the tree was unusual to the place and people had not heard of it, it was then disregarded. In Greece, Banyan means trader or Mercader, which then changed to Binan. Others believed that the name Binan came from the word “Binyagan” which means baptized or baptismal place. During the Spanish Era, the town was named Parochia de San Isidro de Binan which is now the emblem of the church.
The City of Biñan is politically subdivided into 24 barangays.
Santo Tomas (Calabuso)
De La Paz
San Francisco (Halang)
Poblacion (City Proper)
Santo Niño (San Antonio)
Mayor: Marlyn “Lenlen” B. Alonte-Naguiat
Vice Mayor: Atty. Walfredo “Arman” R. Dimaguila
Rene C. Manabat
Jose Magtangol Carait
Elmario B. Dimaranan
Vicente Tan Gana, Jr. MBA
Gat-Ala A. Alatiit
Alfredo A. Arcega